This is the first time I've made this British classic. What seemed like a complicated dessert to make turned out to be super easy. I'll be whipping this up a lot more in the future!
The pastry crust was delicious and the filling so soft. Topped with flaked almonds & lemon icing drizzle. Yum! It turned out just like the picture too - how often does that happen! I made this for Sam's parents for mother's day but it was consumed too quickly for me to take a photo of it sliced.
From 'The Great British Book of Baking'.
For the sweet shortcrust pastry: 175g plain flour, pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons of caster sugar, 115g unsalted butter, 1 medium egg yoke, 3 tablespoons raspberry jam. For the topping: 60g unsalted butter (soft), 60g caster sugar, 1 medium egg, 30g self raising flour, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 50g ground almonds & few drops of almond essence. For the icing: 100g icing sugar, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or flavouring, 1 tablespoon of cold water. Flaked almonds to decorated.
- To make the pastry by hand, sift the flour, salt & sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the diced butter and rub with your fingers until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Use a spoon to mix in the egg yolk and make into a firm dough. If the mix is too dry & crumbly stir in a little water a teaspoon at a time.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and leave in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
I used a 22cm loose-based flan tin.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface into a circle and then line the flan tin, cutting off any excess.
- Prick the base with a fork and then spread the base with the raspberry jam.
- While you make the topping heat the oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 4.
Put a baking try in the oven to heat up - you will put your tart on top of this so it cooks the pastry underneath evenly.
- For the topping, put sugar, butter, egg, sieved flour, baking powder, ground almonds and almond essence into a mixing bowl. Beat well until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon on top of the jam and spread evenly.
- Bake in heated oven for 30 minutes until pastry is light golden brown and the filling is firm to touch. Remove from oven & leave to cool.
- Mix icing sugar with lemon juice & water to make a smooth runny icing. Pipe or spoon icing over the tart in a random/zigzag pattern and then scatter with flaked almonds.
- Served gently warmed or at room temperature with single cream.