Tuesday 11 December 2012

Day 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10

Ooops, got a little behind.
The beginning of the month always looks empty and then all the dates come flooding in at once. We have a few different calenders. I prefer paper; to be able to see everything written down in front of me, it's easier to plan and see all at once. So, yes, I have a filofax that I carry with me everywhere. I've had it for a few years now and I'm still very fond of it. We also have a calender that we hang in the house that we can both see everyday, that always looks messy. A clean calender with blank spaces at the beginning of the month and then full of black splodges, crossing out & overlapping. When we first got married and had our wall calender I didn't let Sam write on it (because he's not very neat), now I can't even make it neat the amount of things that get written on it! He's allowed to write on it now. Hah.
THEN Sam has now set up both our iPhones so our calenders are synced. With busy lives now and being in separate places more often it's just easier to see what each other are doing without needing to ring/text to find out. I'm getting used to the electronic version but I'm still not a fan. Sam functions much better seeing it all on his phone. Anyway, my point being I have not blogged as our evenings are so full and then it's bedtime!

Day 6 was me. It was a milk and cookie date night. I did a cookie night with a few friends on the fifth where eight of us got together. We had to make a batch of cookies for each person so eight batches altogether including one for yourself. We went to one person's home, drank mulled wine and nibbles then sat around and took it in turns to share about how our year has been. It is such a special time. We try to do it every year. It's just a wonderful way to reflect on the year and share everything with the people around us. Then we share cookies to take home!
So we were going to have a cookie night and cuddle with a hot milky drink but then we had a ton of friends over Thursday night and they all got inhaled! But now I have a great excuse to bake something and find a night for that date. (I'll share my recipe below).

Day 7 was Sam. His promise of a date was a breakfast of my choice in bed! He always gets me an orange juice and cup of tea in the morning before I've even woke up. I'm a lucky girl.
Again we both had the same idea because day 8 was a breakfast for him, a heart-shaped breakfast which I've always wanted to do for him at some point.

Day 9 was a tea date at the mac and a wander around to see whats going on whenever we decide to go. We want to try and go to a few more local places and this is one of them. It has beautiful grounds to walk around too. Hoping when the weather gets warmer to remember to picnic there a bit more often.

Finally, day 10. This was an 'orange & clove' date. To make our christmas pomanders to sit on the radiators to fill our home with christmassy scrumminess! I made them last year on one of my days off and Sam said he wants to do them together this year.

Wow! I think one of my longest blog posts. Thanks for lasting till the end! Here is the recipe for my 'cookies' although I cheated and made christmas flapjacks instead!







Preparation: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 30 minutes. Serves 24

100g (4oz) butter, 75g (30z) golden syrup, 75g (3oz) soft brown sugar, 225g (8oz) rolled oats, few handfuls of pecan nuts and a few of dried cranberries, 2 big bars of dark chocolate and edible gold dust to finish.

Put butter, syrup and sugar into a saucepan and melt over a low heat.
Stir in oats, pecans & cranberries and mix well.
Spread into a greased square tin.
Bake at 180 oC (350 oF), gas mark 4 for 30 minutes.
When out of the oven melt dark chocolate, pour and spread all over the top.
Leave to cool & set then dust with edible gold dust which you can get from most supermarkets.

ENJOY! They were the best I've ever made.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment