Tuesday 11 June 2013

DIY: Decorative wooden spoons

Hello!
Back with a cute DIY! I saw these from Anthropologie although I don't think they sell them anymore. I decided to have a go at making these myself anyway and you'll most likely have these things lying around your house! Zero cost!

You'll need:
Wooden Spoons, masking tape, paint (you can use anything really, I had some sample wall paints left so I just used those), paintbrush & clear gloss varnish.



Put the masking tape on where you want to paint up to, make sure it stuck securely down so you have neat straight lines when you peel it off. Paint the spoons in your desired colours. I used 'chic shadow' & 'coral flair' from my dulux paint samples. Leave to dry.

I was originally going to use black paint but decided to go for gold using a liquid gold leaf pen that you can get from most craft stores or amazon. Draw/paint on your design. I've gone for simple polka dots & aztec inspired lines.
Once dry use a couple of coats of varnish to seal your design.


They certainly make cooking a little more exciting and my kitchen pretty! The one thing I would warn you about is that they aren't particularly dishwasher safe. I did a couple of washes through the dishwasher and they were fine but after a third wash one of my spoons began to peel. They are fine in the water but I don't think they can survive the heat a dishwasher gives out so HAND WASH ONLY.

We had dinner parties Friday, Saturday & Sunday this week so they got a lot of use. I really like them!
Have a go! Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment